There are now 2 sections of trail - the old one in the valley and the new one in Milton. The old segment branches off from the Green River Trail near Fort Dent Park and heads east of South Center to the south end of King County. After the undercrossing of I-405, the trail is straight as an arrow and flat as a pancake. Scenery in the valley is "industrial" with occasional views of Mount Rainier and landmarks such as Emerald Downs and the Supermall. Small pockets of wetlands border the trail, so the sounds of frogs and ducks are sometimes audible. Sections are so quiet you may not see other people for a mile or two; others such as Tukwila and Downtown Kent may have more users. Watch for rabbits in the grass in Auburn - they spook easily and sometimes dash across the trail at the last moment! The new section in Milton has a bit more up and down, and meanders around more corners through scenic forest land.
Middle of the trail
Location: King County
City(s): Kent, Auburn, Tukwila, Algona, Pacific, Milton, WA
Length: 16.5 miles.
includes Milton section
0 = none/ the worst
5 = average
10 = excellent
Auburn Parks Map
Burien SeaTac Tukwila Park Map
Kent section of trail
King County Bike Map
Map to get to Foothills Trail
Milton section of trail (new)
Renton Bike Map
Tukwila section of trail
1. Connects with the Green River Trail near South Center and also in Kent.
2. Connects with the Duwamish River Trail near Fort Dent.
3. Connects with the 277th Street Trail in Kent.
1. All of the trail in Milton has been paved.
2. The city of Edgewood plans to complete a short section of trail west of 114th Ave E. (see page 6)
3. Sumner is planning to link this trail with the Puyallup Riverfront Trail
4. A new segment of unpaved trail will connect Edgewood and Milton when a sewer project is completed (see page 6)
5. The cities of Edgewood, Milton, Pacific, and Sumner are teaming on a grant application to complete the trails through these cities and connect the Interurban Trail to the Foothills Trail, etc.
Directions: Main segment: Northern end starts at a pedestrian bridge near the junction of Interurban Ave S and Fort Dent Way. Southern end is in Pacific off of 3rd St.
Milton segment: Take Porter Way off of either SR99 or 20th St. E. from Fife, find the West Milton Park at Kent Street to park. Walk up along Kent St. a short distance and access the trail around a steel vehicle gate.
Bridge over SW 43rd St
Closure notice at the Green River Trail junction on S 259th St
Junction with the 277th Street Trail
View from the 277th Street overpass.
Trail ducks under an electric tower
The trail near Emerald Downs